Monday, July 18, 2016

Art Journal 101

 Let's talk about art journals!

 I've been keeping an art journal for about 3 years now, actually I have several going all at once. Each one has a different focus. But I have one that I work in the most that houses my morning pages, or as I like to call them my daily ramblings.

So what is an art journal?
  Here is a definition from Wikipedia:



An art diaryart journal or visual journal is a daily journal kept by artists, often containing both words and sketches, and occasionally including mixed mediaelements such as collages. Such books will frequently contain rough workings, in cartoonform, of ideas later to appear in finished works, as well as acting as a normal diary, by allowing the artist to record their day-to-day activities and emotions.
These diaries not only give art historians a valuable opportunity to explore the creation process of these finished works, but they are a useful biographical tool.
Many famous artists are known for their art diaries - the sketchbooks of Leonardo da Vinciare probably the best known example. Other artists to have used art journals include Frida Kahlo.

Here are some pictures of Frida Kahlo's actual art journal:



And here is a picture of Leonardo's famous diary:

I find them so beautiful and interesting!! This is a picture of some of my very early art journal work. This is from 2013, the year I began to keep an art journal in earnest.

  You don't have to be a professional artist to have an art journal. It Is just for you alone-to play and do something creative. But if it becomes a practice for you, part of your daily or at least weekly routine, I guarantee your art will improve and your use of the art language; how color fields, shapes and textures relate to each other and how you apply them in your unique way ,will improve. I think you will surprise yourself with how fun it is, how much creativity you actually have, and how useful it really is!


  So now that you have an idea of what an art journal is, stay tuned for my next post where we will talk about different types of art journals and some basic supplies. 
                 




No comments:

Post a Comment